Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lechahro

Tax implications of death with rental property trust

My grandfather and mother live in North Carolina and hold a 5 unit rental property in trust in California worth around $4M. The property has been paid off. When my grandfather passes, will my mother owe a significant tax bill on the property despite the trust being in place? We are thinking of doing a 1031 exchange on the property since upkeep is too much work for her. I am wondering about purchasing a new investment property with a partial down payment (and thus incurring debt), would this debt offset the taxes owed when he passes?

Thank you for any help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
M-MTax
Level 10

Tax implications of death with rental property trust

You need to speak with a tax and estate lawyer for this. A lot of what happens after your grandfather passes  depends on what relationship your mother has to the trust. Did she and your grandfather own the property together and place it in trust, is she just a beneficiary, or something else? Depending on the structure your mother could get a stepped up basis in the property with depreciation deductions disappearing or she could get the property with the same basis after your grandfather passes. Someone needs to be able to review the entire terms of the trust and that should be a local attorney who has knowledge of estates and trusts and real estate.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies