Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dalawman

Substitute 1099-b with only Profit/ loss numbers

The Substitute statement format from my broker ( a TurboTax partner) is suitable for reporting only on Form OMB. 1545-0715 . Why is this form not available for our use.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Substitute 1099-b with only Profit/ loss numbers

An OMB number is a tracking number used by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for keeping track of form approvals and usage. It is not the actual form number.

OMB No. 1545-0715 is Form 1099-B. You don't fill out Form 1099-B. Your broker fills out Form 1099-B or a substitute, files it with the IRS, and sends you a copy. You certainly can enter into TurboTax a Form 1099-B that you receive from your broker. You enter it under investment sales.

I don't understand what you are saying about the form from your broker. Form 1099-B does not show profit or loss. It shows the proceeds of a sale and usually the basis, as well as a lot of other information. I assume that the statement about being "suitable for reporting only on Form OMB. 1545-0715" is something you see on the form from the broker. It sounds like some legal mumbo jumbo, possibly trying to say that the form they sent you is a valid substitute for an actual Form 1099-B. But if the form that the broker sent you shows only profit or loss, it is not a valid Form 1099-B.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies