Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

skanouse

Sublease rent received in December for January-April rental period

I'm trying to figure out if/how to report rental income received for subleasing my apartment (that I do not own) when I received the sublease rent payment in 2019, but the actual rental period was January-April 2020. Sublease rent received was less than the rental rate I paid to my landlord, and I also paid utilities for my subtenants.  Is there some way to carry over the income into 2020 so that I actually have expenses to offset it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

income recived in advance is generaklly taxable in the year received

Comm. vs. Indianapolis Power & Light Co. 110 S. Ct. 589 (1990)

The U.S. Supreme Court made a distinction between the taxation of refundable deposits. The Court confirmed advance payments are generally taxable and defined "advance payments" as a non-refundable payment. With a nonrefundable payment the payee is "guaranteed" it can keep the money as long as the payee performs its own obligation under the contract.

Michaelis Nursery Inc. 69 TCM (1995) (CCH) 2300, T.C. Memo 1995-143

Sole issue is whether amounts received by Nursery from its customers in connection with the sale of trees should have been recognized as income in the year the payments were received or in subsequent years, when the trees were delivered. Court held that the deposits received by the Corporation were advance payments of income constituting taxable income to the petitioner when received. The corporation enjoyed "complete dominion" over these payments because it had no obligation to repay any amount to the buyers unless the corporation defaulted on its commitment to deliver the trees.

skanouse

Yes, I know that. But I don't understand where to report it (because I do not own the property). I also don't know can offset it by any of my expenses, which exceed the revenue, are firm, and can be counted in advance (i.e. I have a lease that stipulates the monthly rent that I pay).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies