Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stock sales or dividends when not a CA resident

I was a California resident until December 2014. I moved abroad since then. I keep filing my Federal taxes using TurboTax and it says I don't need to file state taxes. So far it worked, but I just received a letter from CA FTB that assessed a CA state tax for 2021 as I sold a relatively high amount of stock that was reported by Charles Schwab to both IRS and CA FTB. I dowloaded TurboTax CA State Tax 2021 and tried to go through the filing steps. By default, even though I chose "full year CA non-resident" status it calculates a State Tax due unless I say none of that revenue is from CA source. I am confused. How do I know the stock sale or dividend income is from CA source or not? Most of these companies, if not all, are headquartered outside California. For example, Amazon and Tesla--stocks of which I sold--aren't CA companies. 

How do I handle this situation? CA FTB leaves me until 6/18 to respond or pay.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

From CA FTB Publication 1031, under Section I, "Income taxable by California", on pages 6-9:

"The gain or loss from the sale of stocks or bonds has a source where you are a resident at the time of the sale."

"Interest and dividends generally have a source where you are a resident. Exception: Interest and dividends have a source in California if the account or security is used in a trade or business or pledged as security for a loan, the proceeds of which are used in a trade or business in California."

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2023/2023-1031-publication.pdf

So, unless your interest and/or dividend income falls under the exception, none of your capital gain or dividend income is California-sourced or taxable by California.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

From CA FTB Publication 1031, under Section I, "Income taxable by California", on pages 6-9:

"The gain or loss from the sale of stocks or bonds has a source where you are a resident at the time of the sale."

"Interest and dividends generally have a source where you are a resident. Exception: Interest and dividends have a source in California if the account or security is used in a trade or business or pledged as security for a loan, the proceeds of which are used in a trade or business in California."

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2023/2023-1031-publication.pdf

So, unless your interest and/or dividend income falls under the exception, none of your capital gain or dividend income is California-sourced or taxable by California.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies