turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

app1dak
Returning Member

Stock sale section asks question "Did you acquire this investment more than a year before you sold it? Neither option shown is correct.

Here are the options:
1. Yes, I acquired this entire investment more than a year before I sold it
2. No, I didn't acquire any part of this investment more than a year before I sold it

Part of shares were acquired less than a year from sale and part of shares were acquired more than a year from sale.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Stock sale section asks question "Did you acquire this investment more than a year before you sold it? Neither option shown is correct.

you need to split the sale, answer yes. then prorate the sales price (shares held long-term divided by total shares held times sales price)  and the actual cost of those held more than a year. then add another line and answer no use the rest of the sales proceeds and their cost.  I'm surprised because the IRS requires that the 1099-B report separately long-term lots and short-term lots so the info should be there. unless you use a broker that does not have a 1099-B filing requirement.    

View solution in original post

1 Reply

you need to split the sale, answer yes. then prorate the sales price (shares held long-term divided by total shares held times sales price)  and the actual cost of those held more than a year. then add another line and answer no use the rest of the sales proceeds and their cost.  I'm surprised because the IRS requires that the 1099-B report separately long-term lots and short-term lots so the info should be there. unless you use a broker that does not have a 1099-B filing requirement.    

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies