Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mark42

Split Expenses for Vacation Rental with personal use days

I have a vacation home that I rent out as a short term rental.  I enter the personal use days, and rental days, and TurboTax calculates the expenses that can be deducted as rental property expenses based on the ratio of personal use days to rental use days.  That's fine for things like utilities.  But some expenses, like Cleaning and Maintenance, and transient occupancy tax, which are 100% rental expenses, should not be split.  So, I go into the Schedule E worksheet form and override these expense values reported on Schedule E.  But then I get an error, it says that these values should not be overridden and changed for electronic filing.  Using an override can prevent the cross-checking thats important to an accurate tax return.  Any way around this?  Can I ignore the error and file anyway?  The only way I can think of is to declare zero personal use days, and then calculate the values manually.  But I don't really want to declare zero personal use days when I actually have quite a lot.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@Mark42 wrote:

Any way around this?  Can I ignore the error and file anyway?

No, you cannot ignore the error and e-file. For some expenses, such as advertising, commissions, management fees, et al, the program allocates 100% to Schedule E. For others, however, such as repairs, the program will do a split accordingly (of which you are already aware).

You can use your workaround but it would be better if you simply did the math yourself and entered that figure on the worksheet. For example, if you had a repair costing $1,000 during a rental period and your personal use was 10%, the program will allocate around $900 to Schedule E rather than $1,000. To resolve this issue, you could simply enter $1,100 on the worksheet (or whatever figure will get $1,000 in the Schedule E column). The worksheet will not be transmitted with your return so there should not be any issues with entering a different figure.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

@Mark42 wrote:

Any way around this?  Can I ignore the error and file anyway?

No, you cannot ignore the error and e-file. For some expenses, such as advertising, commissions, management fees, et al, the program allocates 100% to Schedule E. For others, however, such as repairs, the program will do a split accordingly (of which you are already aware).

You can use your workaround but it would be better if you simply did the math yourself and entered that figure on the worksheet. For example, if you had a repair costing $1,000 during a rental period and your personal use was 10%, the program will allocate around $900 to Schedule E rather than $1,000. To resolve this issue, you could simply enter $1,100 on the worksheet (or whatever figure will get $1,000 in the Schedule E column). The worksheet will not be transmitted with your return so there should not be any issues with entering a different figure.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies