Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

davelemi

Sold RSUs (Swiss/CHF);1099B blank except for proceeds & box12; where do i enter the "withhold to cover" amounts to show I paid taxes?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sold RSUs (Swiss/CHF);1099B blank except for proceeds & box12; where do i enter the "withhold to cover" amounts to show I paid taxes?

"where do i enter the "withhold to cover" amounts to show I paid taxes? "

You don't.  The stock sold "for taxes" was passed back to the employer, who paid the governments, and included those amounts in the "taxes" boxes of the W-2.  You don't get to claim them again.  (If the broker had withheld those amounts they would be reported in Boxes 4 and 16 of the W-2.)

Almost certainly you're asking this because your tax liability went way up when you recorded the sale.  That because you are using the wrong basis for the sale as the broker is only reporting $0, your "out of pocket" cost.

Enter the 1099-B as it reads on the default TurboTax 1099-B entry form but then click on the "I'll enter additional info on my own" blue button.  On the next page enter the correct basis in the "Corrected cost basis" box.  The correct basis is (number of shares sold) x (per share "fair market value" used by the employer to calculate the compensation reported on the W-2).

TurboTax will report the sale on Form 8949 "as reported by the broker" but will put an adjustment figure into column (g) of the Form, a code "B" into column (f) of the Form, and the correct amount of gain or loss which includes the adjustment.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

3 Replies

"where do i enter the "withhold to cover" amounts to show I paid taxes? "

You don't.  The stock sold "for taxes" was passed back to the employer, who paid the governments, and included those amounts in the "taxes" boxes of the W-2.  You don't get to claim them again.  (If the broker had withheld those amounts they would be reported in Boxes 4 and 16 of the W-2.)

Almost certainly you're asking this because your tax liability went way up when you recorded the sale.  That because you are using the wrong basis for the sale as the broker is only reporting $0, your "out of pocket" cost.

Enter the 1099-B as it reads on the default TurboTax 1099-B entry form but then click on the "I'll enter additional info on my own" blue button.  On the next page enter the correct basis in the "Corrected cost basis" box.  The correct basis is (number of shares sold) x (per share "fair market value" used by the employer to calculate the compensation reported on the W-2).

TurboTax will report the sale on Form 8949 "as reported by the broker" but will put an adjustment figure into column (g) of the Form, a code "B" into column (f) of the Form, and the correct amount of gain or loss which includes the adjustment.

Tom Young

Thank you for your advice however, there is no "I'll enter additional info on my own" blue button.  Can you please advise?  Thank you!

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

The screenshot shows how you can 'Enter Additional Info' or 'Correct Cost Basis' as either (or both) may apply to you reporting the sale of employee stock on a 1099-B.

Click this link for info on How to Enter 1099-B

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies