Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I mail past 8 years state returns to CA for rental property

I live in TX and own a rental property in CA. The property has a mortgage, hence it has been generating losses for past 8 years. I do my TX and CA taxes using TT home and business every year. And the CA tax would be all Zero's. Hence I did not mail the CA tax returns for 8 years. Today I found that, we have to mail the CA tax return even if its zero, this will help with tracking accumulated losses and depreciation, and can be applied when I sell the property in the future.

What is the the best way to remediate this? Should I print the past 8 years CA tax returns and mail them to FTB in CA? Is there any problem with doing this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Should I mail past 8 years state returns to CA for rental property

While you may not have any current CA tax liability from the rental property, CA has the potential for assessing a failure to file penalty, etc.

I haven't looked at this area specifically, but CA is an aggressive state.

I would recommend getting a tax professional involved, drafting a letter to see if CA would entertain waiving the penalties and you would file all unfiled tax returns.  Using a tax professional, this individual can make the request anonymously to begin the conversation. 

Some states announce a voluntary disclosure period of time, but it never hurts to ask the question even if the state hasn't made this publicly available.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies