Should I enter a 1099-misc for book royalty as "Rental Property and Royalties" or as "Business Income and Expenses" since I did other writing without pay in 2016?

In the past, always have a 1099-misc for (meager) book royalty and I sometimes have income from other writing.  I use a cabin for my writing, several hours a day, so deduct business expenses.  When I enter the 1099-misc as well as business income as a Writer, the numbers get all moved and switched around.  

IreneS

Any royalties from intellectual property you created as part of your profession should be reported on a Schedule C.  
If this royalty is not from an activity you engage in professionally, you should enter it on a Schedule E.

You can deduct expenses regardless of the schedule you use to enter the royalties.