Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JoeSchu1

Should an uploaded 1099-B from Fidelity have everything needed to manage RSU sales?

I sell all my RSU's on the day of vesting. Shares are withheld to cover taxes at vesting. Across my 5 transactions on the year, my 1099B is showing a short term gain of about 1500 and a short term loss of about 70.  When I use the uploaded doc from Fidelity, everything is fine. The small amount of gain is taxed as expected.  When I go to do the check, I am prompted for a "date of acquisition" of one of the sale lines, and when I put that in, my taxes go up 4X (from 1.5k owed to over 8k owed). Then it asks if they're long or short term, and answering short term doubles it again from 8k to 15k owed. There's 0.0% chance that this is right and is clearly a glitch in the product. I paid ordinary income tax on this income as it vested (the withheld shares) and realized at most a $1,500 gain TOTAL across the 5 transactions. The most this could sway my taxes is a few hundred dollars. This feels like a glitch in the software. Help.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Should an uploaded 1099-B from Fidelity have everything needed to manage RSU sales?

Technical is working on RSU issue.

Related:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JoeSchu1

Thank you. This is clearly a software bug.  Do you have an ETA as to when I can finish my return?

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

I can't give you a ETA for when it will be resolved, but you can go to he following site and sign up to receive an email notification when the issue is updated:

Why am I unable to enter my RSU Price Per Share?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies