turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Short term capital gains

So throughout the year I started day trading I hit it big on one trade and sold it. I than reinvested that money and took major losses. How will my tax’s at the end of the year look am I still on the hook for paying short term tax on that one trade that made money or will my overall portfolio be taxed at the end of the year. Hopefully I did not really screw myself here.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Short term capital gains

Your total capital gains for the year minus your total capital losses results in either a net capital gain or a net capital loss.

• If the result is a net short term capital gain (gain on assets held one year or less) is taxed as ordinary income.
  • If the result is a net long term capital gain (gains on assets held more than one year) is taxed at a more favorable rate than ordinary income.
  • Net losses are deductible, but only up to a maximum of $3,000 ($1,500 if married filing separately). Any capital losses you couldn't deduct this year can be carried forward and deducted on future tax returns. This is called a capital loss carryover.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Short term capital gains

When can I take a long term capital gain and off set it from short term capital loss

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies