turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schedule K-1 Box 14

My 2 siblings and I have a Family Trust.  The only thing in the trust is real estate.  We are renting out a building on the property and that is the only income for the trust.  I have generated the Schedule K's and in Box 14 it shows I* (the letter) and then STMT.  Apparently there should be some kind "attached statement with additional information".  I don't know what information they want.  There is a figure in box 7 (Net rental real estate income), Box 9 A and Box 12.  Any suggestions? 

Thank you!

Mary

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Schedule K-1 Box 14

Are you using TurboTax Business? Your profile indicates that you are using that product.

You can enter Forms Mode (click the forms icon in the upper right side of the screen) and look at Forms in My Return on the left side of the screen. You should see an entry directly below each of your K-1s designated as Statement A.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
jtax
Level 10

Schedule K-1 Box 14

Box 14 Code I is where you tell the beneficiaries how much of the income generated is from a trade or business that qualifies for the new (2017) pass-through deduction for "Qualified Business Income" (QBI)
(also known as the section 199A deduction). The benes might be able to deduct 20% of QBI on their 1040s. See page 3 of https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1041sk1.pdf

It is very complicated and its application to rental properties is even more so because it is often not clear that a rental activity is a trade or business. (E.g. it is more like an investment.) So there is a complicated set of "safe harbor" rules that, if you follow them, means you are sure you qualify.

So if the income distributed is small you might just ignore it. Otherwise here are some starting points. You might seriously consider seeking guidance from a CPA, enrolled agent, or tax attorney. For an hour or two of their time they can look at your facts and tell you how to proceed.

https://www.picpa.org/articles/cpa-now-blog/cpa-now/2019/12/31/rental-property-and-section-199a-tax-...

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rp-19-38.pdf

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Schedule K-1 Box 14

Are you using TurboTax Business? Your profile indicates that you are using that product.

You can enter Forms Mode (click the forms icon in the upper right side of the screen) and look at Forms in My Return on the left side of the screen. You should see an entry directly below each of your K-1s designated as Statement A.

Schedule K-1 Box 14

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies