Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schedule E: Section 179 Carryover Rental Property California

Hi,

I have the desktop mac version of turbotax 2022.

Turbotax asks me to enter any section 179 expenses that were not allowed last year. It tells me to check my 2021 Form 3885a depreciation and amortization adjustments.

I tried entering in the value of the carryover loss that was not allowed, but it gave me an error saying it's not a commercial property. So then I was forced to remove the value.

Then I clicked on forms to validate California form 3801 for 2022. However, I saw no value for prior year unallowed losses - 1.c (it only shows this years losses). When I right click on the cell for the value nothing happens. If I double click it takes me to Form 3801 Part IV Rental Real Estate with Active Participation. I am unable to edit column (c) Unallowed losses for the prior year for my property (right click / double click all have no effect).

UPDATE: After some additional digging, I figured out a way to resolve this. I went to schedule E in California Forms and then went to the subsection "Carryovers to 2022 Smart Worksheet". Then I manually entered for "G  Schedule E Suspended Loss" the carryover loss from the previous years (as a negative number) AND THEN I saw the value I expected in California Form 3801 for 1.c.

Was there a simpler way to have done this? Wanted to share this for those that might be in a similar boat as me.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies