Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schedule D Description - No Attachment Required

I have several capital gain/loss transactions through a brokerage account. I meet the requirements that allows me to list total proceeds and total cost, rather than list each transaction. The program asks for the name of the brokerage account, and that is what is printed on Schedule D for the description.  However, the description says the name of the brokerage account followed by "statement attached". No statements are required to be submitted. I have not found a way to eliminate the printing (and I assume transmission in the e-file) of "statement attached". Any suggestions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I don't know about just Schedule D, but on the 8949 when you list summary of transaction instead of each individually, when you print your return after you e-file you are usually told to mail in the 1099-B showing the transactions. 

Schedule D instructions state that you can report on line 1a or line 8a the aggregate totals from any transactions for which......"You received a Form 1099-B....... that shows basis was reported to the IRS and doesn't show any adjustments in box 1f or 1g". It goes on to say that if you choose to do that, don't report these transactions on Form 8949. "You don't need to attach a statement to explain the entries on line 1a and 8a, and, if you e-file your return, you don't need to file Form 8453."

I think it’s different if your transactions may be aggregated on Sch. D. 
But out of curiosity-

Who tells you to send that in? TurboTax? The IRS? 
How and to where do you send it so it gets matched up to the return?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies