Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cmoy
Level 2

Safe Harbor QBI qualification on rental property?

I have a rental property where ordinarily I am very passive, with occasional visits to the property to do repairs or to visit my tenants.  However, last summer, my tenants left, and I decided to remodel the property as the property went through 10+ years of continuous rental.  With regard to the property, I spent almost all summer, 11 weeks, mostly on weekends, on location.  Quite a few weekdays as well, as I was not working in the month of July.  I was at the property either supervising others with remodeling, doing grunt work myself,  showing the house, and dealing with the finances.  Roughly 30 full days at the property, but in reality more, since I did a lot of arrangement work with various suppliers such as Home Depot, answering phone calls, etc.   A number of questions:

1) how is the 250 hour work minimum calculated?  If I'm at the property the whole day and actually stay overnight, is it based on 8 hours per day?  Or 10+ hour days?  If I was there overnight, I easily did 12+ hours a day of work.

1a) I'll assume that phone calls and other things I may have been doing while at home also counts towards the 250.  Also, what does the documentation entail, i.e. what type of logging is required by the IRS?  Would having Google Calendar entries show enough "proof"?

2) I've also noticed that if I take this option, if I incrementally add expenses for this property, anything, such as repairs or depreciation or management fees, my taxes actually goes up, which makes no sense.  I could see my taxes staying the same, but not to go up?!  Maybe this has nothing to do with the Safe Harbor QBI?  I do have 2 other properties, both which have paper losses due to large depreciation expenses (plus for the past 2 years rent control issues, people skipping out on rent using Covid as an excuse, etc).

3)  I've read other threads where I would have to manually send in the tax forms, rather than electronically filing.  Has this been fixed in TurboTax?  I'm not sure if it's worth the small amount of savings on the Safe Harbor QBI if I have to deal with this hassle.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Safe Harbor QBI qualification on rental property?

The 250 hours are counted on any work that you do for the property (those phone calls from home do count) PLUS any work done by people whose labor you paid for and controlled.  SO all of the contractors hours count towards it as well.  You should have no problem documenting that through the paper trail created by both your labor and the contractor bills that you paid.

TurboTax shouldn't have any problem with your QBI deduction for this year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies