Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

S Corp Expired Net Operating Loss Error

I am completing my S Corp 2022 taxes using TurboTax Business 2022 desktop version. 

I have a NOL for 2021 in the amount of $5,840. My state is California,  when I run the review while in the "State Taxes" section to check for errors it keeps giving me: Expired Net Operating Loss error "You have a prior year NOL listed on your form 3805Q, Part II, Line 2. Please review form 3805Q and remove any prior year Net operating losses that have expired."

I read in the user forums that NOL's can be carried forward 20 years. 

Why am I getting this error?

What should I do to fix the error message?

Should I just ignore the error?

Please help! 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
M-MTax
Level 11

An S corporation cannot deduct an NOL; instead, the shareholders must include their respective shares of the S corporation’s NOL in their own computations of individual taxable income. This amount can contribute to an individual NOL for the tax year.

I am the sole owner of the S Corp. I had NOL in 2021 which was reflected on my K-1. 

Why is TurboTax giving me this error while doing the California error check? It's my understanding NOL's can be carry forwarded 20 years. Since I have a NOL, my income is definitely less that $1 million,  so the suspension should not apply to me S Corp.  

I also read that California suspended the NOL carryover for 2020 and 2021:

Suspension of NOL carryover deduction

For taxable years 2020 and 2021, California suspended the NOL carryover deduction. Both corporations and individual taxpayers may continue to compute and carryover an NOL during the suspension period. Different rules apply depending on the amount of income per year.

For the 2022 taxable year, the net operating loss suspension has been repealed.

The suspension does not apply:

For individual taxpayers, if they have net business income or modified adjusted gross income of less than $1 million.

For corporate taxpayers, if their income subject to California taxation is less than $1 million.

NOL deductions disallowed during this time period will be extended for each year they are suspended.

Questions:

How do I fix this error?

Should I just ignore the error?

M-MTax
Level 11

So this was transferred to your personal tax return? I apologize but I'm not familiar with CA.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It sounds like the net operating loss was correctly transferred to your K-1 when you completed your 2021 tax returns.  There should not be any amounts listed on your California S-corporation return as it no longer exists at the corporate level as indicated by M-MTax in a prior post.  Any net operating losses from 2021 would be reflected on your individual return unless they were utilized in 2021 or 2022.  California conforms to this treatment.   Please see section E from form 3805q instructions for more details.

To remove the error, you will need to go back into the interview section for California and remove the NOL amount listed for 2021.  This should remove the error and allow you to proceed.

@Fund247 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No, I am getting the error in the state final review (my state is California) section in TurboTax Business (For Corporations,  LLC'S) desktop version. I've read a few other users state that to ignore the error. Others say to remove it and manually add it back the following year. I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies