Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ASA13
Returning Member

RSU Taxation Puzzle

Hello experts, 

I have RSUs that are vesting after 3 years in May 2022. During the 3 years, I was on USA payroll for 30 months and Indian payroll for 6 months. I am told that I have pay taxes in India when shares vest, even though I am in USA when the shares vest. I cant figure this out. Here are some more details. Please advise why I have to pay taxes for a temporary stay in India. 

2006 to 2020 - USA resident alien 

Jan 2020 to June 2021 - Indian employee in India 

July 2021 - current - USA resident alien

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

RSU Taxation Puzzle

With regard to U.S. taxes, as a resident alien you must report all income from sources within and without the U.S.  See page 10, Resident Aliens, in this IRS reference:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf

The tax laws of India are beyond the scope of this forum.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
ASA13
Returning Member

RSU Taxation Puzzle

Thank you for the reply. What forum would be the best to post this ?

TomD8
Level 15

RSU Taxation Puzzle

If you're looking for help with the tax laws of India, sorry, we can't help you.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

RSU Taxation Puzzle

if such a forum exists we wouldn't know it.   

reading the US/India tax treaty might help but if not, then you need the help of a tax pro familiar with the tax laws of India. likely this would be n accounting or law firm that has offices in India and the US.   can not give you a name.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/international-businesses/india-tax-treaty-documents 

RSU Taxation Puzzle

I would also recommend you discuss this with your employer.

Based on the limited facts, I would assume that they use an accounting firm that should be able to provide some assistance in this matter.

Keep in mind, all is not lost, since you will get a foreign tax credit on your U.S. tax return; form 1116.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies