Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kim C1
Returning Member

RSU's

Not all of my RSU sales in 2023 are on my 1099B. The sales in question were sold at a loss and they show up in box 14 on my W-2. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

RSU's

Were the RSUs reported in Box 14 ever converted to stock by the company?  It sounds like those RSUs in Box 14 were withheld to pay taxes on an RSU award when it vested.  Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) aren't actually stock, they are "units" that represent shares of stock.  When they vest, the value of the entire vesting lot is taxable income, just as if you had received a cash bonus.  And just like a cash bonus, taxes have to be withheld.  To pay the tax the company will sometimes withhold a portion of the RSUs equal to the amount of tax withholding.  Other times shares of stock that were issued when the RSUs vested will be sold.  The former is not reported on a 1099-B because no stock is actually sold.  The later almost always involves a broker and is reported on a 1099-B.  But the only way to really know what happened is for you to contact someone at your company to find out for sure.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kim C1
Returning Member

RSU's

I sold RSU's 3 times last year but only 2 sales show up on 1099B. I also had some withheld for taxes. Cost basis is on 1099B but I can't reconcile with statement so not sure what that amount stands for. Amount in Box 14 on W-2 is much different than on 1099B. 

Kim C1
Returning Member

RSU's

The amount in box 14 is the gross release value in which I received as compensation. This number does not include what was withheld for taxes. Example. a total of 370 were awarded and I received $14,898.51. An additional 154 were withheld for taxes totaling $6193.83. The total units was 524. The total on 1099B  Box 1d

is $5858.09 and Box 1e is $6006.54  

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

RSU's

It looks like the Form 1099-B is reporting the sale of stock units used to pay for the taxes. If there were other sales that you did also, they may be reported on another Form 1099-B. I'm not sure why the sales proceeds reported are less than the $6,193.83 you said was withheld for taxes though.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies