Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Royalty income from mineral rights generated a schedule C

I entered my royalty income from mineral rights and somehow generated a Schedule C. I do not have a business so I do not need Schedule C. How do I correct my entry to generate a schedule E and make the schedule C go away?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

When you enter your 1099-MISC, with income in Box 2 - Royalties, TurboTax will ask what kind of royalty it is:

• Investment income from property you own – This includes natural resources extracted from your property by a third party who leases your property, as well as royalties from intellectual property that you didn't create yourself. This gets reported on Schedule E.
  • Royalty income from your business, including artist royalties or operating a natural resources business (Schedule C) – This includes income from natural resources that you extract from your property as well as royalty payments from intellectual property you created as an inventor, writer, artist, and so forth. This gets reported on Schedule C.

You can delete the Schedule C and 1099 and re-enter the 1099-misc, but this time choose the Schedule E option if it is applicable.

How to delete forms in TurboTax Online

How to delete forms in TurboTax Desktop

Or you can start with the Schedule E:  How to enter royalty income and expense on Schedule E - - this references 'rental' property, but you use these same instructions to enter a royalty property for Schedule E.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you very much Dawn for your very clear and thorough response. I was able to delete Schedule C. One follow up question if you will. I do not operate the mineral resource business. We only receive a small royalty income for the mineral rights. Is this considered "Qualified Business Income?"

Thank you

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It depends.  If you don't consider yourself as involved in the extracting of the minerals, as you stated, then the income does not qualify for the qualified business income (QBI) deduction.

@rjm76 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks very much Diane. I appreciate your quick and clear response.

rjm76

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies