Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dant
Level 1

Reviewing the 1099-B Sale regarding Selling CALL & PUT Option contracts

After importing 1099, TurboTax takes me to a review screen to verify some of the sales.  I am a bit confused with the dates (Acquired/Sold) being backwards and the behavior of the sold/expired button behavior. See the following:

Sales Section: Short-term basis reported to IRS

When filling out the info for boxes 1a - 1e

Type of Investment: Options

How did you receive this investment: Purchased it

box 1a - Description: 1 CALL ADOBE SYSTEMS INC $575 EXP (Pulled from import data)

box 1b - Date investment was acquired: 9/15/23 <-- this is the option expiration date on the 1099

Sold / Expired <-- selecting expired causes box 1d to go away, selecting sold keep box 1d?

box 1c - Date sold/disposed: 7/31/2023  (Pulled from import data) <--  Actual Sell to Open date for the Call Option.

Box 1d- Proceeds: $927.96 (Pulled from import data).

Box 1e - Cost or other basis: $0 <-- Since the covered call expired, the cost basis is 0

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Schwab?  Have the same issue with short sales.

Fortunately, none of mine have adjustments. this allows me not to bother importing but simply entering total proceeds and total cost  on line 1a on schedule D

the issue is at the broker's end so you need to talk to them as to why they present it this way

it may not matter if the "holding" period is less than a year.   however, I also do leaps so without my shortcut, some trades that would appear on the 8949 in the short-term section (because the type imported is A ) actually, look like the holding period is more than 1 year so should appear in the long-term section. 

Dant
Level 1

Thanks for the response.  My Schwab 1099 actually looks to be reporting the dates correctly on the options but backwards on the stock sales.  Wells Fargo is showing acquired date after the close/expired date.  I don't want to change the dates in turbotax to what I believe to be the correct reporting because then the 1099 the IRS has won't match.  Since it is a short sale, I can make sense out of the date reporting.  In turbotax, I just don't use the expired button and it seems to work out fine.  Even though I have a cost basis on option contracts that were bought back to close the position,  the 1099 shows $0 and the amount is actually reflected in the proceeds total.   As you stated, since all of these have a holding period less that a year, it is all short-term gains or losses and it should be fine.  After all, they just want to make sure they are capturing the correct the tax on the gains.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies