turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxquestion23
Returning Member

Reporting the Sale of a Second Home that Used to be a Rental Property

I’m a non-CA resident with an out-of-state primary residence since 2021. Back in 2011, I inherited a home in CA with my sister and rented the joint property until 2016. After bad tenant experiences and home theft between leases, we decided to have my sister and her family move in. I stayed in the joint property when I visited CA, and she used the CA property as her primary residence until we sold it last year.

I’ve gotten three different guidance on reporting the home sale—all claiming that the other options are wrong and will result in an audit. Do I report it as a sale of a second home since it was that for the majority of the time and lower the cost basis based on the depreciation that I claimed during the rental periods? Or do I report it as a sale of a business property even though it was a rental for a few years? Or do I split both the purchase price and cost basis 60/40 and report part of the sales as a second home and the rest as a business property?

Also, one of the TurboTax Live professionals said I could reduce capital gains through claiming the loss from theft, which includes expensive commissioned artwork and mirror art installation that were affixed to the wall. Could I get confirmation on whether I could deduct the loss to reduce capital gains? For additional context, I previously did not claim deduction on the theft loss on my 2014 tax form due to being uninformed and didn’t receive any compensation from insurance as my policy didn’t cover loss theft. However, we filed a police report and have extensive documentation regarding this loss. 

Thank you in advance for your help.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Since it was last used for personal purposes, you should report it as the sale of a second home.

You need to calculate the accumulated depreciation deductions and reduce your basis by that amount.

Taxquestion23
Returning Member

Thank you for your response. I just want to confirm that by reducing the cost basis by the depreciation deductions when reporting it as my second home, I’m paying the recapture tax for when I depreciated the property during the time it was a rental. Thank you!

The program will prompt you to enter previous accumulated depreciation deductions.

Taxquestion23
Returning Member

As you can see below, there’s no place to enter the depreciation deduction separately. IMG_0006.jpeg

Use the Sale of Home section.

Untitled.png

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies