Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reporting sale of inherited foreign property

I sold an inherited foreign property for which taxes (20%) were already deducted in the foreign country before realizing the sale proceeds. The tax is calculated there, not. based on when I inherited it but, based on local laws.

I inherited the property in December 2022 when my mother passed away.

I am reporting the sale on Schedule D and Form 8949.

However, the proceeds realized on sale ($75K) are lower than the FMV in December 2022 ($86K) based on price trends shown on online realtor sites. I am unable to find any official government record to determine the fair market value of property on date of inheritance. So, I am using FMV trends available from online-property-buy-sell websites.

Is it fair to report the loss ($11,000) on this sale of inherited foreign property?

Or, should I claim no-profit/no-loss?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Reporting sale of inherited foreign property

It depends.  If this was not your home, you should use the best fair market value (FMV) available to arrive at that amount on the date of  death. If the end result is a loss then that is what you are titled to use on your tax return for inherited property.  Keep all of your records with your tax file to show how you arrived at the FMV.

This is considered investment property, report it as follows:

1. Under Wages & Income scroll to Investments and Savings (1099-B, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-K, Crypto)
  2. Select Start/Revisit or Add another investment > 
  3. Select Add Investments or continue to go through the screens to select 'Other' > Continue
  4. Begin to enter the sale description >  Under Type select Other > Under How did you receive select 'I Inherited it' (if applicable)
  5. For TurboTax Desktop you would enter the description 'Inherited Property' and select 'Long Term' as the hold period
  6. Enter your sale date and 'Various' as the Acquired date (Select Something other than a date if applicable)
  7. Continue to complete the screens until you arrive back at the Wages & Income main page.
  8. See the image below from TurboTax Online as example.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies