Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reporting Final K-1 loss not as capital gain/loss

My final K-1 shows "ending capital account" as zero, but over the life of the partnership I have experienced (significantly) more loss than is reported on each year's K-1 line 1 [Ordinary business income (loss)]. When I report this under the TT dialog "Describe Partnership Disposal" and then report it as "Sold Partnership Interest" it records the loss as Long term capital loss. But I need this loss to be reported as ordinaty busiess income (loss) so that it will reduce my other Schedule E earnings from similar partnerships. That's what it was. The long term capital gain/loss limits me to lowering capital gains which I do not have. The $3000/year does not help me with my tax situation this year.

Here is the formula that I used to determine the loss I experienced from this partnership:

Initial Investment + contributions - distributions - orindary business losses reported on K-1s = net loss not reported on tax returns.    

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

What you are describing is a loss on an investment, which is a capital loss.

An ordinary loss is a loss on business activity, sales minus expenses of those sales. If the value of your investment decreases, that is a capital loss.

Your loss is your initial investment + money transferred in - distributions - losses reported on your k-1 schedule - what is left over. The loss of your initial investment and money transferred in represents capital losses, not ordinary losses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Almost looks like you're trying to deduct a loss in excess of your basis.....not allowed! Your basis is decreased by your share of the partnership losses but never decreased below $0.

RobertG
Expert Alumni

The loss on the sale or other disposition of a partnership interest is a capital loss, not an ordinary business loss.

Not true - I truly lost about 1 third of what I invested. The K-1s reported the 1/3 I received in distributions and another 1/3 in ordinary earnings loss, but never reported the last 1/3 decrease in value, which had it done so, would have been ordinary income loss, not capital loss.

That's the point - it was not a loss at final disposition, but one which occurred gradually over the 10+ years I was in the partnership. I received tax advantage from the losses they did report, but not for an equal amount of decline that occurred gradually over the years. It is a failing of the K-1s or how they were reported that causes it to be treated as Capital gains.

I know I am right about this - I just can't find how to have TTax treat it as the ordinary loss it was.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

What you are describing is a loss on an investment, which is a capital loss.

An ordinary loss is a loss on business activity, sales minus expenses of those sales. If the value of your investment decreases, that is a capital loss.

Your loss is your initial investment + money transferred in - distributions - losses reported on your k-1 schedule - what is left over. The loss of your initial investment and money transferred in represents capital losses, not ordinary losses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies