Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Renting out half of primary residence for 90 days

If I rented 50% of the space of my primary residence for 90 days in 2021 and then converted it to personal use, am I able to deduct expenses for home insurance, HOA, mortgage insurance, or property tax? What proportions for each? Or am I unable to deduce expenses at all since I personally used the space for the majority of the year?

The online flow is pretty confusing and I haven't seen the pop-up window again about prorating any amounts so they show up correctly on Schedule E (even after clearing and starting over). Thanks for any help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Renting out half of primary residence for 90 days

Choose I rented out part of my home to start.

Please see this answer from Marketstar:  PY Rental

Mortgage interest and property taxes are divided between personal (Schedule A, itemized deductions) and rental use (Schedule E) proportional to the number of days used for each and square footage rented

Your formula is as follows: square footage of rental space/ total square footage of house times days rented/365 to be allocated as a rental expense

For instance, if you have $10,000 in mortgage interest and rent 25% of your floor space for 6 months, multiply 10000 x .25 x .5 = $1250 to allocate as a rental expenses. the balance as a Schedule A, itemized deduction.

So, you will enter a portion of mortgage interest and property taxes in both areas.

To enter personal mortgage interest and property taxes:

• Type in mortgage interest in the search box, top right of your screen
  • Hit the Enter key
  • Click jump to mortgage interest in the search results
  • Follow the prompts and online instructions
  • To enter rental expenses, type in rental property and follow the above instructions
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies