turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

luckyaces09
Returning Member

Renting a room in a condo

Hi everyone,

I currently own a condo and rent out one of the rooms at FMV.

Utilities are split but I pay the full HOA and cover insurance,repairs, taxes etc. 

The intent was to rent the room out the entire year but I was only able to rent it out for 9 months.

There is a question that asks if the rental was rented out the entire year but if not, for how many days.

Would I say yes because the intent was to do so or do I mark no?

There is also a question that asks how many days it was rented.. would i put 9 months in this box?

What would I put for personal use days if I occupied it the entire year?

The two cannot add to be more that 365.

Also am I correct to be able to write off the entire amount for taxes and insurance or would I have to divide the total by 2?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DJS
Alumni
Alumni

If the room was available for rent for the entire year, even though rented for only nice months, then you may consider that it was rented for the entire year with no personal use. 

Placed in Service

You place property in service in a rental activity when it is ready and available for a specific use in that activity. Even if you aren’t using the property, it is in service when it is ready and available for its specific use. It remains in service so long as it's still available for rent and not used for personal purposes.

Personal use of rental property.

If you sometimes use your rental property for personal purposes, you must divide your expenses between rental and personal use. Also, your rental expense deductions may be limited. See chapter 5, Personal Use of Dwelling Unit (Including Vacation Home).

Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.
**If this post is helpful please click on "thumbs up"**
Carl
Level 15

The below clarifies things better than the program does. But it's geared towards the rental of an entire property and not just a room. So I'll start off with a few additional clarifications you need for your specific situation. First I am assuming you desired to have a renter physically in the space and paying you rent starting from the first day the room was "available for rent" through the remainder of the year and possibly beyond into the next year. 

Utilities are split but I pay the full HOA and cover insurance,repairs, taxes etc.

Every penny the rental pays you for ANY REASON is rental income. So if you are splitting the utilities that means your rental income varies every month. For example, I seriously doubt that your electric bill was "exactly" the same each month. So your rental income includes whatever amount the renter paid you for their share of the utilities and anything else they paid you for.

Now, here's how you'll answer the questions in TurboTax.

- Was this property rented all year?  If the property was *not* available for rent on Jan 1, 2018 then the only correct answer to this question is NO. Then on that same screen you're asked two more questions:

a) Days rented at fair rental price - The day count starts on the first day a renter *COULD* have moved in and ends on the last day the property was "available for rent". So if the renter moved out in Oct and you continued to advertise the space in Nov and Dec yet had no renter physically in it, then those two months of vacancy ***DO*** ***COUNT*** for the number of days rented *PROVIDED* you did not use that space for your personal use for one single day while it was vacant.

b) Days of personal use - the answer to this one is *ZERO* unless you did "IN FACT" use that room or space for personal use during periods of vacancy "while the property was available for rent". What you used the room or space for before it was available for rent *does* *not* *count* for *anything*.

On the screen "let us calculate your expense deductions for you" select YES to let the program do the math for you. Then enter the percentage of your floorspace that was "exclusive to the renter". For example, if you live in a one bath house and rented out one bedroom to the renter, then only the square footage floor space of the bedroom was exclusive to the renter. The bathroom was not since it was shared with the renter by the property owner.

However, if you live in a 2 bath house and the 2nd bathroom is only accessible from the one bedroom that was rented out, then that 2nd bath is also exclusive to the renter. You will include the square footage of the bedroom and the bathroom in the total space that was exclusive to the renter.

Simply divide the square footage exclusive to the renter by the total square footage of the house and that will give you the percentage of floor space that was exclusive to the renter. After entering that percentage (out two decimal places if necessary), continue.

Yes, you are an active participant and continue.

No, you did not pay anyone $600 or more, and continue.

Elect to enter the rental info yourself, continue and work through to the "Review your [propertyname] Rental Summary" screen. Then enter every single penny of income paid to you by the tenant for any reason, for the entire year. Then press on.

In the expenses section, you will enter expenses paid *for* *the* *entire* *house*. So you will enter 100% of the insurance you paid, 100% of the utilities you paid, 100% of the property taxes you paid, 100% of the mortgage interset you paid, etc., etc., etc. When done working through the expenses you'll be returned to the summary menu. Take note that the total shown for the expenses you entered will *NOT* agree with the figures you entered.  That number is based on percentage of total floor space that was rented (classified as business use), and the number of days rented (including vacant periods if it was available for rent.) and the number of days of personal use during the time it was classified as business (rental) use.

So if 20% of your floor space was available for rent for 182 days of the year (that's six months) and you did "NOT" have one single day of personal use of the space during those 182 days, the math works like this (I'm using imaginary numbers for easy math)

- Total paid for utilities, mortgage interest and property taxes for the *ENTIRE* 365 day year - $3,600

- Divide that by 365 days and you get roughly $9.86 per day.

- Multiply $9.86 by 182 (number of days rented/classified as business use) and you get $1,795.07

- Multiply $1,795.07 by .2 (percentage of floor space exclusive to the renter) and you get roughly $359.01

That $359.01 is what you're allowed to claim as a deductible rental expense on SCH E.

The remainder of the "allowed" deductible expenses will be automatically carried over to the SCH A by the program. But even then you'll note that the SCH E deductions and the amount carried over to the SCH A still don't total the total of the "whole house" expenses you entered.

That's because the "only" deductions allowed on the SCH A are for mortgage interest and property insurance. So the remaining 80% of your homeowner's insurance and utilities are not deductible anywhere on the tax return.

Finally, in the expenses section you'll enter the entire amount of the HOA fees you paid for the year on the screen where it asks for "miscellaneous expenses". It will be the very, very, very last screen in the expenses section.

Whew! Any questions?

Carl
Level 15

Almost forgot. After you finish working through the expenses section, you need to work through the Assets/Depreciation section too. You *MUST* enter the property itself at a minimum, as an asset. Here's how to get the numbers and answers right. For this example, I'm still assuming that 20% of your floor space was exclusive to the renter for 182 days (last 6 months of the year)

- Describe this asset - Select rental real estate property and continue.

- Tell us a little more about the asset - Select Residential rental real estate and continue.

- Describe this asset  - for the name, enter anything you want. I like using the street address myself.

Next enter the *TOTAL* *COST* of what you paid for the condo. 

Next, you *MUST* enter a cost for the land. The arguement that "I don't own any land"  won't fly. The fact is, you do own the land that the structural foundation physically covers. If you are in a multi-story condo structure then you own a percentage of the land immediately and directly beneath the foundation of the structure. You *must* allocate a portion of the amount you entered in the "COST" box, for the land. So if you paid $100,000 for the condo, that's the amount you will enter in the COST box. Then you must allocate a realistic portion of that $100,000 for the land. Lets pick a number out of thin air for this example, and enter $20,000 in the "cost of land" box.

At this point since land is not a depreciable asset, the program will "do the math" and subtract "cost of land" from "cost" and that difference ($80,000 in this example) is what will be depreciated over the next 27.5 years.

Finally on this screen, enter the date you "originally" purchased the property, and not the date you last refinanced the property if you've ever done a refi on it in the past.  Then continue.

Now select "I purchased this asset new" and also select *NO* I have not always used this item 100% of the time for business.

Select "I used this item for personal purposes before I started using it in the business".

For "date I started using this item for business" enter the date the room or space was "available for rent".

For percentage of time you used it in this business you will enter 100% ONE HUNDRED PERCENT. Read the screen. The percentage being asked for is *based* *on* *time* starting from the date you entered in the box directly above that. (NOTE: I believe the percentage I told you to enter here, while correct for the question asked, it's wrong for the math the program does. In other words, for *your* *specific* *situation* I think you're being asked the wrong question on this screen. I am in the process of "passing this up the chain" through the forum moderator to a CPA, to determine the accuracy of my suspicions.) Either myself or a forum moderator will get back to you on this in the next few days. )

Carl
Level 15

@luckyaces09 just to keep you informed, it looks like my suspicions are correct, and there is a problem in the program that makes entering 100% business use for the asset cause the program to "do the math" wrong. I probably won't get any feedback on it until sometime next week. Will keep you posted.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies