turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mm6185
Returning Member

Rental Property

Changed condo classification to not renting for profit as family member living there was unemployed and unable to pay rent. How do I remove $25,000 loss carryover from 2018?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Rental Property

How did you change it? Did you skip the rental section and enter the income as other income? Did you just not do anything with the property at all?

You don't need to delete Form 8582 that calculates your passive loss. That loss will help you when you sell the property. It does not expire.

mm6185
Returning Member

Rental Property

There was no income this year as he was unemployed.   Condo rent charged, if paid, is below fair market value.  Previously said the rent was fair market value for area.   The -25,000 shows up on line 7a.   Are you indicating that it is not a problem and leave the -25,000 as it is on 7a.

Did not enter as other income.   Did enter rental as not fair market value.

Carl
Level 15

Rental Property

How do I remove $25,000 loss carryover from 2018?

Here's the bottom line. If you remove your carry over, then you lose it, permanently and forever. Note also that if you changed to renting at below FMRV, then carry overs are not allowed and any prior carry overs are also lost permanently and forever.

Since you are not collecting rent, you would be better off converting the property to personal use. That way, your carry over's stay intact for future use when one of three things happens in your life.

- You convert the property back to rental (Be forewarned, the TTX program does not handle this correctly,)

- You sell the property

- You die.

mm6185
Returning Member

Rental Property

How does one convert the condo to personal use.?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Rental Property

If you made no income whatsoever in 2019 from the property, then it qualifies as your second home. Just remove it from the rental section. Keep your Form 8582 for the future.

You can deduct the mortgage interest and property taxes on your second home on Schedule A, within limits.

mm6185
Returning Member

Rental Property

Where do I enter information to change rental condo to personal use?  Can I claim condo real estate taxes on Schedule A?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Rental Property

There is no form or entry to make. Just cease filing Schedule E. Include the expenses mentioned on Schedule A.

@mm6185

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies