Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rental property sale state tax withheld: Do I add that to the expenses of the sale, the estimated taxes in deductions or wait until 2024 to claim the actual tax paid?

The state I sold the property in allowed me to send information prior to the close of sale to help provide a better estimate of my likely tax burden, so the withholding should be close to what the actual tax will be.  
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Rental property sale state tax withheld: Do I add that to the expenses of the sale, the estimated taxes in deductions or wait until 2024 to claim the actual tax paid?

Sales tax paid with the closing of the sale of rental property would be reported 1) in the year you actually paid the taxes and 2) under Deductions & Credits >> Other Income Taxes >> Withholding not already entered.

Taxes of any type are not deducted from the sale proceeds; they're entered separately.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the reply!  So the state withheld ~$4000 at time of sale.  When I calculated actual tax due with turbo tax, it was ~$2000 (so I’m supposed to get a state tax refund). Do I enter the amount withheld or the amount of tax calculated?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You are filing a tax return for 2023. If you have paperwork showing you paid the $4,000 in 2023, you can claim it. If it was paid in 2024, you must wait.

If you are calculating estimated payments for 2024, you would add the $4000 paid in 2024.

Thank you!  So do recording tax and transfer tax go in the same section as the withholding?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

No, recording tax and transfer tax are taxes that you paid and they are deductions.  Withholding is money that was taken in anticipation of taxes that might be due.  

@theo285814 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies