Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Carl
Level 15

Rental Property Remodeled and sold in 2020

Property improvements are not entered until they are placed "in service" regardless of what year the improvement was actually completed and paid for. Since you did not rent the property in 2019 "after" those property improvements were completed, it makes no sense to enter them on your 2019 tax return. If you enter them, you'll be "forced" to show a business use percentage and depreciate them. Then you turn around a few months later (which just happens to be the next tax year) and recapture that depreciation, thus increasing your AGI.

I have a similar situation.  I thought I had it figured out till I saw this thread.  As a result I've decided to learn more, file an extension and send them an estimate of capital gains.

The house became vacant in November 2018.  I did a total remodel.  New kitchen, master bath, interior and exterior paint, new deck, new roof, and repaved the driveway.  I didn't finish and close till August 2019.  Had one sale fail and had to endure double house payments all that time.  While rebuilding out of pocket.

What's the best way to reduce my tax burden?  I was planning on treating it as a rental and take repairs as deduction.  That appears wrong based on this thread.

I did a lot of the work myself with the help of a buddy who is a contractor.  The rental was over an hour from my residence so more than a few times I worked all day and spent the night to get an early start in the morning.

Did I inadvertently convert it to personal use?

I'd appreciate your feedback.

RonMar0
Returning Member

With reference to initial questions posted by xzll on June 23, 2020, I have similar circumstances but renovated and sold two of my vacant rental properties in 2019 (instead of in 2020). How to proceed with converting each to personal use and then renovating and selling them in 2019?

Oh wow, here I am in 2021, working out how to deal with rental sale taxes and reading a TON of posts. Many of them answered by Carl which gives me a great sense of trust in him "knowing his stuff".   So now, in the admitting defeat column, ME! Help! I have practically the same story as @cutegoat but after reading so many other posts I think I have confused the (beep) out of myself.   

Using TTax for years to maintain and report taxes for rental.  Had house rented since Jan 2012 and renters moved out Nov 30, 2019 no renters for the remainder of that year.  I took advice and on 2020 taxes just claimed rental for the entire 2019 tax year, EASY!  No renters in 2020 at all, did 23K worth of repairs in 2020, and after repairs put the house on the market in March 2020 with a final sale in May 2020. I have input info in diff ways and currently have house under "Sale of Business property", then I read Cutegoats post. 

?? I have read so many posts about sale of the property. Do this under the rental section or Under the "Sale of Business Property section? I know I gotta stop depreciation for recapture but would that be Jan 1 2020 as it it was decided not to rent during repairs and then sell afterwards?  This means I convert to personal use but zero days use correct?  

My apologies for what will probably seem like a wash, rinse, repeat, post like others but for some reason my brain just can't lock on to exactly what needs to be done-the right way. Help!  Bill Mc

*Reposting as it looks like my previous post was lost , deleted or otherwise vanished* 

Read sooooo many posts, now I think I have my self confused. Similar situation to @cutegoat.  So here I am in 2021 trying to figure this all out and need some help to somehow get my brain to lock-in on what needs to be done.  

Renting my home since Jan 2012, renters moved out 30 Nov 2019 and did try to rent in Dec 2019.  Took advice and declared house as a rental for all of 2019.  However, after 23K worth of repairs in 2020 the house was put on the market in March 2020 and sold in May.   Luckily I have been using TTax for all years while renting. 

Reading all this stuff, I know I have to stop depreciation for recapture was thinking that would be on 1 Jan 2020. Would the sale of the house be in the renters section or the "Sale of a business property".  One post reads like it is in rental section, and another as a business property once converted to personal use with zero days.  The 23K repairs were a new roof, concrete work some misc interior repairs. 

See? Confused right? Help? Please?  Thanks!

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Your previous post, with all the responses is still there. See them here.

@Carl -- I also have a very similar situation so much of your reply to the initial post is helpful, but let me toss these several nuances of difference:

1. Have owned the vacation rental property since 2015 and on 12/1/22 we asked the management company to not rent it out for the next 2 months (Dec and Jan) because we were doing a bathroom remodel.  Some of the work was paid for in 2022 and some in early 2023.  These are certainly property improvements for which I'd like to add to my costs basis.  Assume I'd have to split the reporting between 2022 and 2023 because actually paying was split?  But here's the real issue:

2.  We sold our primary residence in 2022 and have determined that to not be tax reportable -- and we decided to move to our vacation rental as our primary residence in February 2023.  I am wafflng about converting it in 2022 or 2023.  At first I wasn't going to deal with converting the vacation rental to personal use until 2023, but after reading your comments to the other post I'm wondering if we should go ahead and covert it to personal use in 2022, even though we didn't move in until 2023?

3.  To complicate further, we also had $20k worth of HOA-required property improvements we paid for in 2022.  I know based on your reply to the poster who was SELLING his property, you recommended he not depreciate the improvements because he has to recapture all the carryover when it's sold.  Is recapture issue the same when we convert to personal use but don't sell?

Need help in 1) treating the $20k HOA assessment paid for in 2022 (want to capture the add to cost basis and not sure if to depreciate), 2) for bathroom remodel improvements paid for in 2022 and 2023, how should report those?  and 3) Convert to personal in 2022 or 2023?  Thank in advance for help!!!

Carl
Level 15

I am assuming question 1 is for the rental property and question 2 is for a completely separate property that is/was your primary residence.

For question 1: Assume I'd have to split the reporting between 2022 and 2023 because actually paying was split?

No. That assumption is wrong. You'll enter absolutely nothing concerning this property improvement on your 2022 tax return, because there's no way that property improvement was placed "in service" in 2022, since the project was not completed before the end of the year. You'll enter the entire cost of the property improvement next year, on your 2023 tax return with an "in service' date of the first day in 2023 that an occupant "could" have lived in the property. That would be the date you told the management company to start renting it out again. Keep reading below, to see if you'll enter "anything" concerning the property improvement on "any" tax return.

2. We sold our primary residence in 2022 and have determined that to not be tax reportable -- and we decided to move to our vacation rental as our primary residence in February 2023. I am wafflng about converting it in 2022 or 2023. At first I wasn't going to deal with converting the vacation rental to personal use until 2023, but after reading your comments to the other post I'm wondering if we should go ahead and covert it to personal use in 2022, even though we didn't move in until 2023?

If the property was not rented at all in 2023, I would suggest you convert the vacation rental to personal use on the 2022 taxes with a conversion date of Dec 1, 2022. That will stop all depreciation on that date. With that, you will not enter anything concerning your property improvements on any tax return, since they would not have ever been placed "in service" after Dec 1, 2022. However, keep all your paperwork on the improvements, as you will include it in your adjusted cost basis if any one of three things happens in the future.

1. You convert the property or any part of it back to a rental.

2. You sell the property.

3. You die.

Now, if you did have a paying renter in the property in 2023, then you'll have to wait until next year to convert the property to personal use on your 2023 tax return. When you do that, you will still not enter your property improvements, since doing so would mean they were "in service" as a rental asset for less than a tax year. When you have a rental asset that is placed in service as an asset and then converted to personal use in the same tax year, you don't depreciate it. But still, keep the paperwork for the improvements for reasons already cited above.

3. To complicate further, we also had $20k worth of HOA-required property improvements we paid for in 2022. I know based on your reply to the poster who was SELLING his property, you recommended he not depreciate the improvements because he has to recapture all the carryover when it's sold. Is recapture issue the same when we convert to personal use but don't sell?

What specifically was the assessment for? It matters, as that determines if it's treated like a property improvement or an expense.  If it helps save you time, see IRS Publication 527 at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p527.pdf on page 8 under the heading, "Assessments for local improvements" in the 2nd column. See if that answers this question for you.

Thank you.  To clarify, ALL questions are related to our vacation rental condo.  I only mentioned that we'd sold our primary home in 2022 but didn't move into our vacation rental condo to become our personal residence until 2023, in case it mattered.  On the rental condo we had 2 large property improvement projects:  the HOA-mandated property improvements which cost us $20k over 3 installments in 2022 (that was to "reskin" the outside of the poured concrete building, and remediation work to compromises in the patio and common area concrete, window repairs/replacement, painting etc - so it appears to qualify for definition of "property improvement"), then we also did a bathroom remodel project to OUR unit in December 2022/January 2023 which cost about $25k, then we moved in February 2023.  We never rented the vacation condo out in 2023.  We "could" have, just didn't.  Since I know I have a choice of 2022 or 2023 as to when to officially convert it on tax return, I wanted to explore the options and benefits.

So --  for the bathroom renovations we absolutely shouldn't expense nor depreciate in 2022 because it never went in service in 2022.  Ditto for HOA-mandated property improvements, correct?  In fact, we won't report EITHER of those on our tax returns for either 2022 or 2023 because the unit never went back "in service", correct?  But I DO want to keep good records of those assets because I might need them to add to the cost basis in the future if one of those 3 events occurs, correct?  If yes, I didn't realize that improvements could add to one's cost basis on property that was NOT investment property.  And since you're telling me to just go ahead and "convert" the condo to personal use as of December 2022, I'm just seeking clarity that if it becomes our primary residence at that time, we can still use both the HOA improvements and bathroom remodel to add to our cost basis in the future?? 

If I have all this right, based on similar posts it looks like I'd still go thru my Schedule E entries just as I normally would to capture the Jan - Nov rental income and expenses.  I just won't address AT ALL the 2 big improvement projects.  But then I also need to follow the leads for converting the property, effective December.  All correct?  Thank you again!!!

Carl
Level 15

In fact, we won't report EITHER of those on our tax returns for either 2022 or 2023 because the unit never went back "in service", correct?

Correct.

But I DO want to keep good records of those assets because I might need them to add to the cost basis in the future if one of those 3 events occurs, correct?

Correct.

I didn't realize that improvements could add to one's cost basis on property that was NOT investment property.

It does. Keep this in mind too. When you do a property improvement, depending on what that improvement is, the property tax appraiser can also appraise a higher tax value, meaning you pay more in property tax too. For example, if you add on to a structure to give it another bedroom, or a garage, that not only adds to your cost basis, but it's a fair bet the property appraiser is going to increase the tax value also. Now you no why you are required to get a permit when you do such work as adding on to a structure to increase it's floor space. .... and you though the primary reason was so the "inspector" could make sure the work was done to code. 🙂

And since you're telling me to just go ahead and "convert" the condo to personal use as of December 2022, I'm just seeking clarity that if it becomes our primary residence at that time, we can still use both the HOA improvements and bathroom remodel to add to our cost basis in the future??

Absolutely.

If I have all this right, based on similar posts it looks like I'd still go thru my Schedule E entries just as I normally would to capture the Jan - Nov rental income and expenses.

Yes. You can make your conversion date anywhere from 1 day after the last renter moved out, to the date the inside work started. Typically, you make it one day after the last renter moved out, because you did not advertise it as available for rent after that date.

I just won't address AT ALL the 2 big improvement projects. But then I also need to follow the leads for converting the property, effective December. All correct?

All correct. Some additional notes just for convenience.

As you work through the SCH E section in the Property Profile section, you'll have a checkbox for "I converted this property from rental to personal use in 2022". Select that box. Then you'll report your rental income and expenses incurred up to the date of conversion. Important to note that expenses incurred after the date of conversion are not deductible as a SCH E rental expense.

After entering all rental income/expenses you'll have to work through the Assets/Depreciation section and edit/update each individual asset one at a time. For each asset:

- You'll be presented a screen for "I stopped using this asset in 2022". Click YES. Then when asked for the disposition/sale date enter the date that is at least 1 day after the last renter moved out.

- On the "Special Handling Required?" Screen, read that screen to understand why I am telling you to click YES. Then click YES.

Repeat the above two items for each individual asset listed.

If you claimed any vehicle use for that rental at any time while you owned it, and even if less than 100% business use, you must work through the vehicle expenses section to show the disposition of the vehicle. That too will be shown as removed for personal use.

When you are totally done with your tax return, have filed it with the IRS *and* it as been accepted by the IRS, you will need to do two things. You need to do this, because there is no way you're going to remember the details when "on of three things happens" in your life, which I mentioned in an earlier post.

1) Save the entire tax return to your computer in both .tax2022 format and PDF format.

2) Print out the tax return.

When you save the tax return in PDF format, you want to save absolutely everything; calculation worksheets, forms, and all supporting documents. That way, if necessary in the future you can "follow the numbers" to refresh your memory on what you did in the past, so you report things correctly in the future.  With only one rental, you can expect the document to be over 100 pages quite easily.

When you print the return, I suggest you print the PDF copy so you have everything in hard copy. Technology is not perfect. Chances are, at some time in the future you'll get a new computer, or the current computer will crash beyond recovery.

There are three documents from the printout you will need in the future. So if anything, at least print those three documents and store them in a safe place (such as with your closing documents you got at the closing when you originally purchased the property) so you can find them easily in the future.

In the PDF there are two "unofficial" form 4562's for that specific rental property. The two I'm talking about both print in landscape format. One is titled "Depreciation and Amortization Report" and the other is titled "Alternative Minimum Tax Depreciation". To confirm you have the correct ones, the name you used to identify the property will be in the upper left corner of both. These show all of your original information such as cost basis, date placed in service, total depreciation taken, etc. etc. etc. 

The third document you will need will only exist if you have an Passive Activity Loss (PAL) carry overs. it's IRS Form 8582 - Passive Activity Loss Limitations. If you don't have that form, that just means you don't have any PAL suspended losses to carry over from 2022, as all of your losses were allowed. Just make a note on one of the 4562's that you don't have any PAL suspended losses, so you won't panic when looking for it in the future.

Additional notes of importance:

- When you convert the property to personal use in Dec 2022, since MACRS uses the mid-month convention for rental property, depreciation will stop on Dec 15th.

- The program will prorate the deductible mortgage interest between the SCH E for the period of time it was a rental, and SCH A for the period of time it was personal use in 2022. Your SCH A amount will be very little. Understand that until the total of all your SCH A itemized deductions exceed your standard deduction, this will make no difference on your tax liability. So if the program does not generate a SCH A, that means you're taking the standard deduction.

- The program will pro-rate property taxes between SCH E and SCH A also. But again, I doubt the total of your SCH A deductions will exceed your standard deduction, meaning there will be no SCH A at all and the program will inform you that the standard deduction is better for you.

- For property insurance, you will have to pro-rate that manually yourself. Assuming a conversion date of 1 Dec 2022 you'll claim 11/12 of the property insurance you paid in 2022 on the SCH E. The remaining 1/12 of the property insurance is not deductible anywhere, since insurance for personal use property is not deductible.

Whew! That's a lot of info. Hope I didn't forget anything.

*those who claim to understand the situation and all aspects of it, are obviously not paying attention*

You are amazing!  Thank you so much for this very detailed information!  Appreciate you greatly.

Question on the DID YOU MAKE IMPROVEMENTS TO THE RENTAL IN 2022?  We did, by way of the HOA-mandated property improvements assessments of $20k, but you said we can't count those as an Asset in the year that we converted the property to personal  use, even though the unit was "in service" during the period we paid those assessments, right?  So on this screen asking if we made improvements, should I say NO? (And them I'm just holding those details to add to cost basis along with the late-year bathroom remodel)?

Also, I have Edited each Asset to show it coming out of service 12/15/22 and that flows for all the non-RE-property assets I've added to depreciate over the years.  But when it comes to the RE Property itself, those screens look different.  On the TELL US MORE ABOUT THIS RENTAL ASSET screen, where all thru the years it was checked "I purchased this asset"... do I now additionally mark "This asset was sold.... converted to personal use.." now?  If yes, I still keep the "I purchased this asset" box checked AND the "converted it" box checked? 

Finally, you mentioned "If you claimed any vehicle use for that rental at any time while you owned it, and even if less than 100% business use, you must work through the vehicle expenses section to show the disposition of the vehicle. That too will be shown as removed for personal use."  Does it end there??  Reason I ask is I never listed the vehicle as an asset to depreciate -- it was my personal car that I only used for trips to the rental to check on it, with mileage calculations.  Do I really need to go thru that "recpature" screen?  (Wages/Incoe, Business Deductions/Credits >Sale of Business Property?  I started going thru that and it's acting like it's a previously taken section 179, but I don't think my personal car for occasional business miles is the same thing??  Not sure where to stop with taking the car out, if at all.

Thank you

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, add the Improvements to the Cost Basis.

Yes, you can keep the 'purchased' and 'converted to personal use' boxes both checked.

Even though you claimed a Standard Mileage deduction, part of that deduction is depreciation.   You will need to add up your Business Miles and figure an average of .20/mi. as Depreciation.  See IRS Pub. 463, page 24 for a table.  You don't report in Sale of Business Property until you actually do sell/trade-in.  Same thing for when you sell the rental property. Keep note (or save form) so you will know depreciation taken amounts at that time. 

@brcrump 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@MarilynG1 @Carl  Thank you -- but I still don't know where to report this vehicle calculation.  For my personal vehicle (<50% business use) which I only reported miles when I used it for business when working on my investment rental property, I have taken the mileage amount each year in service, multiplied by the figure in the table as you suggested.  I take my original purchase price of the car the reduce it by the total from the table, for adjusted basis.  Where to I report that?

Also, when editing all of the Assets to take them out of service, for the RE property itself, it asks if I've always used it 100% for business.  This is a vacation rental so my family has used it a few weeks each year.  So I mark NO, not 100% for business, and check I first used it part time for business and part time personal?  It was always available 100% for business but we went down when it was open - just making sure I understand the real question being asked.  Thank you.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Since you have always taken the standard mileage deduction, you wouldn't report the basis in TurboTax. Instead, keep that information in case you need it in the future.

Yes, if you used the asset for anything other than business purposes, you'll need to enter a percentage for business use. This percentage would be the number of rental days divided by the total number of days the property was available to be rented (usually 365 days).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies