turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rental Property New Mortgage Interest Paid for loan Payoff on Closing Statement

Hello, 

In 2022 I purchased a home for rental property.  On the closing statement I have two lines of interest.  1) is for the interest for the rest of the month that was included in my 1098 from my new mortgage computer.  2) is listed as interest on principal balance under payoff charges.

The second one I do not know where to declare it as an interest expense.  Should I have recieved 1098 from the loan company that was paid off or do I just include the interest in the cost-basis of the rental property?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

1) is for the interest for the rest of the month that was included in my 1098 from my new mortgage computer.

You can ignore that one then, if you know beyond any doubt that it's already reported on the 1098.

2) is listed as interest on principal balance under payoff charges.

Payoff charges? Sounds like a refi to me. Otherwise, I would expect it to be pre-paid interest that you paid in order to get an overall lower interest rate for the life of the loan. Thats generally referred to as points. Points are amortized and deducted (not depreciated) over the life of the loan. So if that's what it is, here's how you enter it.

Note that points can include more than just pre-paid interest.

ENTERING POINTS

here's how to enter the points in the Assets/Depreciation section.. (does not apply to entering the property itself, or any other property assets.)
- Select the Add and Asset button. (go straight to the asset summary if presented that option)
- Select Intangibles/Other Property, then continue.
- Select Amortizable Intangibles, then continue.
- Describe it as something like "2021 Financing Fees".  Then enter the amount, and the closing date of the loan. Then continue.
- Select "purchased new", then "100% business use", enter the closing date of the loan (again), then continue.
- Code section is 163:Loan Fees, then continue.
- Useful Life in Years is the length of the loan, then continue.
- You can "show details" if you like. Then continue, and that does it

Thanks.  How do I mark the question as an accepted solution?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies