Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ihatetutax
Returning Member

Rental Property Fire - How to Write Off

I am filing my 1065 using Turbo Tax business desktop.

Had a fire in a rental in July 2023. Got reimbursed December 2023 - on the depreciation table the property was $65,000 basis in the building, 15,000 in land - and about 6500 in depreciation. Building itself was badly damaged - insurance paid me $95,000 - so ended up with a gain of 32k. That was paid out in December of 2023. I got with some contractors and it would be much more to fix, so I sold the property in January 2024 for $20,000. Now the issue I have is when I go into TT and select the "dispose of rental assets" and go through and select all the appropriate boxes to show a casualty loss and subsequent gain, it shows the property as sold as the undepreciated postion of the building was used to offset the insurance payment. The land is still left on the depreciation table but shows the asset is completely disposed off from what I can see - how do I set this up? Do I go into the depreciation table and split the land and building and then dispose of the building? Am really at a loss here - 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ihatetutax
Returning Member

This is the closest thing I could find to what I am facing - but the issue is the new program doesnt direct me for "special handling." Anyone have a suggestion?

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

You won't report the sale of the remaining property until your 2024 tax return (in 2025). That said, if you received more insurance reimbursement that your adjusted basis in the property and reported the gain in 2023, the entire sales proceeds will be a capital gain in 2024. If you didn't include the land in the insurance calculation, you can report the remaining basis in the sale of a business asset and reduce your gain by your land basis.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies