turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NAndring

Rental Property Depreciation

I want to make sure that I am entering expenses for our rental house correctly on Turbo Tax.   When we purchased the rental house a few years ago, I entered it under the Assets/Depreciation section.  This year we put in a road access over an ADA sidewalk and also built a garage.  I’ve entered each separately under the Assets/Depreciation section.  I entered each under the Rental Real Estate Property section.  I put the road access under Land Improvements and the garage under Residential Rental Real Estate.  It shows the access road depreciating over a 15 year period and the garage over a 27.5 year period.  Under the list of Property Assets it now shows the yearly depreciation of the house, and now the depreciation amount for the new garage, but under the road access (even though it says it will depreciate over a 15 year period) it shows $0 for the depreciation of it even though we built it in April.  Am I doing the entry right?  Any clue why it’s not giving us any depreciation for this year?  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Rental Property Depreciation

Please look to see if you elected to take the "Special Depreciation Allowance" or "179 Deduction" for the full amount. 

That would be listed in a separate column on your Form 4562.

The total for this year should be on Schedule E line 18. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies