Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tsu2001

Rental Property Depreciation

I have a single family residence that I purchased for rental investment back in 2003.  Over the 20yrs I've owned it, I have only taken depreciation during the yrs that the property was rented to tenants (12 of 20yrs).  I placed it back into service in 2022 after not renting it for the prior 3yrs.  

1) Do I manually re-enter the depreciation schedule in TurboTax (picking up @ the 13th yr's depreciation balance).

2) I also made improvements in 2022 (new HVAC, Water Heater, and Electrical Rewiring).  Do I began new depreciation schedules for these items?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When you place the property back into service for rental use, the 27.5-year recovery period starts over from the year the property is placed into service.

You will use the lower of your adjusted basis or the fair market value on the date of the conversion to rental use as your new basis for depreciation. Since it is likely that your adjusted basis (which would be your cost basis less accumulated depreciation deductions plus improvements) would be lower than the fair market value, you would use your adjusted basis as the basis for depreciation.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

When you place the property back into service for rental use, the 27.5-year recovery period starts over from the year the property is placed into service.

You will use the lower of your adjusted basis or the fair market value on the date of the conversion to rental use as your new basis for depreciation. Since it is likely that your adjusted basis (which would be your cost basis less accumulated depreciation deductions plus improvements) would be lower than the fair market value, you would use your adjusted basis as the basis for depreciation.

tsu2001

Got it.

Do I need to submit anything to the IRS with respect to the change in schedule?

Thanks again.

@tsu2001 wrote:

No, except for the Schedule E and there will be a 4562 generated for the first tax year you place the property back into service.

Carl
Level 15

There is no change in any schedule. When you convert the property back to a rental, depreciation starts over from year zero, using the new, adjusted cost basis. The new cost bais will be what you originally paid for the property, plus the cost of any propety improvements you paid for ***MINUS*** the total amount of all depreciation taken previously.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies