turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Lee8

Rental Property Conversion to LLC

Hello - I converted a rental property from personal ownership into an LLC this year.  It has a number of depreciable assets (appliances, etc.) that are 2-3 years in service, and about a $26K passive loss carry forward.  How do I convert the rental property in Turbotax from personal rental to LLC?  There appears to be a place to show the $26K passive loss carry forward on the new business screen, but all options on depreciation are for a newly purchased asset which would start the depreciation clock over again.  It has a separate EIN, so doesn't seem appropriate to keep it in the "Rental" category.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Well then guess what ... since it is a disregarded entity you don't have to change anything ... it will be reported on the Sch E of your personal tax return just like normal.  That new EIN is connected to your SS# and the IRS will expect it to be on your personal return.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Is this a single member LLC ?   Did you make the corporation election ?
Lee8

Yes, single member.  It's the default "disregarded entity" - no corporation election.

Well then guess what ... since it is a disregarded entity you don't have to change anything ... it will be reported on the Sch E of your personal tax return just like normal.  That new EIN is connected to your SS# and the IRS will expect it to be on your personal return.
Lee8

Thanks Critter#2, that makes it easy
Katy
Level 2

Is the answer the same if it is a 2 member LLC??

Only if the 2 members are spouses ... otherwise you started a partnership or incorporated both of which you would have indicated when you got the EIN for the LLC.
Katy
Level 2

Thanks.   Does that mean the depreciation started over?  i.e. a new 27.5 period?  or can I continue the same depreciation schedule?

New assets to the partnership requires a new depreciation schedule using the adjusted basis of the converted property .... this is not an easy situation and I highly recommend you put the partnership 1065 on extension and seek local  professional assistance to get this set up correctly and be educated on the return prep and bookkeeping needed.

Hi, Where did you put the 26K Passive loss carryforward in Business TurboTax?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies