Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rental Income: Rent payments fom Rent Assitance given to tenant

I own a  single member LLC which was created for the purpose of owning and managing rental properties. In 2022 I had a tenant who fell behind on their rent. As such, I was able to get them approve for rental assistance thru a Kentucky State agency. The agency paid my LLC 3 months of rent to cover the arrears, plus an additional 3 months of rent payments to cover future rent payments. 

My tenant elected to move-out before the 3 months future rent assistance could be use under the lease. I contacted the State agency about this situation and was told I need to give these funds directly to the tenant. Which I did ($4980). Since the State agency is going to send my LLC  form 1099 with a total of "ALL" the monies forwarded, what is the procedure required to reduce the gross rental income for the amount given directly to the tenant. Do I send a 1099-misc to my tenant and record this as an expense of Schedule E? Not sure how to handle this situation. Please help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No, you would not send a 1099 MISC to your tenant to record this as an expense on your schedule E.  You would list this as an miscellaneous expense on Schedule E and give it a classification such as Refund for Advance Rent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You could report this as a miscellaneous expense.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No, you would not send a 1099 MISC to your tenant to record this as an expense on your schedule E.  You would list this as an miscellaneous expense on Schedule E and give it a classification such as Refund for Advance Rent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies