Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rental income in partial residency year from departed State

Hello. This is actually for 2018 taxes, as just realized I may have made a mistake on 2018 taxes. In 2018, I lived in Virginia and then moved to Georgia.  When I moved, I started renting out my house in Virginia and received rental income.  So that income was coming in for about 5 months after I had switched my residency to GA. When I did 2018 taxes, I did one "partial residency" submission for GA and VA, evenly pro-rating all the income based on the turbotax interview questions. Should I have done a separate, non-residency income form for VA, with all the rental income on that? So, having to do 3 state forms (2 VAs and 1 GA).  If so, is there way to trigger this in the turbotax interview?  Because the questions don't seem to give this option.  Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

rental income in partial residency year from departed State

You should have had just one Virginia part-year return, although all of the rental income would have been on the Virginia return as "Virginia source" income.  

Your Virginia return for 2018 would have contained two elements to it- the income that you earned while living there plus the rental income that was sourced in Virginia.  If looking at the returns that isn't how they appear to show the income, you can amend them now to adjust for this.  

For 2019 (and beyond) your Virginia filing would just be a nonresident return showing the rental income (or loss) only.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies