Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rental Income / Filing Requirement

Hi,

If I consider my main home to be Guam, have earned income from Guam (less than 2k wage from PT work), have a rental unit in Alaska (but no business license) for rental, and rent out my car through a website in the US, where would I file my return? Would I need to file a separate tax return for the rental property? Would I also file the rental property under a Sch E or Sch 1 because of the no license issue? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Rental Income / Filing Requirement

It depends. Although Guam may tax your rental income from Alaska (AK), the state of AK does not have a state income tax so there is nothing to file for them.  If your car rental income is sent to you in Guam and you are not physically present conducting business in the US then you may not have to report your income to the US. Review the links below to determine your status. Whether you are a bona file resident determines where you file your tax return.

An individual who has income from American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), Guam, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands will usually have to file a tax return with the tax department of one of these territories.

If you are a bona fide resident of Guam for the tax year, send your return and all attachments to:

Department of Revenue and Taxation
Taxpayer Services Division
P.O. Box 23607
GMF, Guam 96921

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies