Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rental depreciation not calculating into taxes due summary

I have gone through the asset depreciation for my short term rental unit. The depreciation details page shows a depreciation expense of 2,224. However, when looking at the unit Rental Summary, the asset/depreciation line shows 0. I checked schedule E line 18, and the 2,224 is included there. However, I am struggling to see how this number is changing my Federal Tax Due. It looks like depreciation is not being calculated into the number as it is not being reduced when I finalized the depreciation tab. Anyone else having the same issue or figures out how to fix this?

*Note: the rental income is 0 in the screenshot as i was playing around with this number to see if it would have any effect on depreciation. It does not.

Depreciation DetailsDepreciation DetailsUnit Rental SummaryUnit Rental Summary

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Have you checked your Schedule E Worksheet in Forms Mode?

Your immediately deductible expenses will not take your net rental loss below zero ($0).

Untitled.png

I made some updates to the property details (forgot to tick it was located outside the US) and looked at the worksheet and see this. The depreciation calculation changed a bit, and it shows in the Schedule E worksheet, but it shows as 0 in the "reported on Schedule E" column. Any idea why? 

Capture3.JPG

@bcasali wrote:

......it shows in the Schedule E worksheet, but it shows as 0 in the "reported on Schedule E" column. Any idea why? 

Vacation home loss limitation per Section 280A; depreciation deductions abate after all other expenses. Once expenses bring the income down to $0, other deductions abate (are not allowed in the current tax year).

Got it! thanks for the clarification, i see its clear now.

Thank you!

@bcasali wrote:

my short term rental unit.

Depreciation DetailsDepreciation Details

Your short-term rental that is outside of the US should be depreciated over 40 years, not 27.5 or 30 years.  You may want to go to a tax professional to correct things.

@AmeliesUncle 

LOL - missed the "Bahia...." at the top of the first screenshot entirely.

Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies