Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Regarding 1099B - we sold stock from an account held with our children and they are paying the tax. Can I simply delete the 1099B since the tax will be paid by others?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Regarding 1099B - we sold stock from an account held with our children and they are paying the tax. Can I simply delete the 1099B since the tax will be paid by others?

If the 1099-B has been reported on your children's tax returns, then you should delete it from yours.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If the 1099-B has been reported on your children's tax returns, then you should delete it from yours.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That "held with our children" introduces a bit of stickyness.  "We" sold stock from an account you own with your children?  Who's Social Security Number is on that 1099-B.  The IRS will attempt to "match" that 1099-B to somebody's income tax return and the Social Security Number is how that will be attempted.

Appreciate the feedback, Tom. While the paper copy of the 1099Bs have both our names on it (parent and one chlid), and both parent and child SSNs are on the account, my SSN is tagged on the 1099B.  Is there a way to flag this so that the IRS knows that the account taxes are being paid by the child?

you can't reduce tax by putting the gains on your kid's tax return.
The Kiddie tax prevents that.
The Kiddie tax is more onerous now.
It's probably cheaper to report the 1099 on your own tax return

if the gain is small never mind, the Kiddie tax won't apply but your tax will be small too.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies