turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Paul24
Returning Member

Received a K1 from Oil E&P with no data other than the ending capital. They say they are insolvent, talk to tax advisor on basis to write off. How do I handle in TT.

What forms do I use.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Received a K1 from Oil E&P with no data other than the ending capital. They say they are insolvent, talk to tax advisor on basis to write off. How do I handle in TT.

As long as the K-1 has a beginning capital balance or if you the 2015 K-1 and can find the capital balance then what do is enter the K-1.

When you start entering it, it will ask if any of these situations apply, and you will mark SOLD in 2016.  I know it when bankrupt but that is still treated like a sale.

The sales price will be $0 and the date will be the date it went bankrupt in 2016. 

Then as long as the basis is listed, TurboTax will compute the loss on the sale.  

Enter the K-1 as follows:

Federal taxes

Wages and Income 

scroll down to  Business Investment and Estate/Trust Income 

then to Sch K-1 and enter it here. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

As long as the K-1 has a beginning capital balance or if you the 2015 K-1 and can find the capital balance then what do is enter the K-1.

When you start entering it, it will ask if any of these situations apply, and you will mark SOLD in 2016.  I know it when bankrupt but that is still treated like a sale.

The sales price will be $0 and the date will be the date it went bankrupt in 2016. 

Then as long as the basis is listed, TurboTax will compute the loss on the sale.  

Enter the K-1 as follows:

Federal taxes

Wages and Income 

scroll down to  Business Investment and Estate/Trust Income 

then to Sch K-1 and enter it here. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies