Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Paul24
Returning Member

Received a K1 from Oil E&P with no data other than the ending capital. They say they are insolvent, talk to tax advisor on basis to write off. How do I handle in TT.

What forms do I use.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Received a K1 from Oil E&P with no data other than the ending capital. They say they are insolvent, talk to tax advisor on basis to write off. How do I handle in TT.

As long as the K-1 has a beginning capital balance or if you the 2015 K-1 and can find the capital balance then what do is enter the K-1.

When you start entering it, it will ask if any of these situations apply, and you will mark SOLD in 2016.  I know it when bankrupt but that is still treated like a sale.

The sales price will be $0 and the date will be the date it went bankrupt in 2016. 

Then as long as the basis is listed, TurboTax will compute the loss on the sale.  

Enter the K-1 as follows:

Federal taxes

Wages and Income 

scroll down to  Business Investment and Estate/Trust Income 

then to Sch K-1 and enter it here. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

As long as the K-1 has a beginning capital balance or if you the 2015 K-1 and can find the capital balance then what do is enter the K-1.

When you start entering it, it will ask if any of these situations apply, and you will mark SOLD in 2016.  I know it when bankrupt but that is still treated like a sale.

The sales price will be $0 and the date will be the date it went bankrupt in 2016. 

Then as long as the basis is listed, TurboTax will compute the loss on the sale.  

Enter the K-1 as follows:

Federal taxes

Wages and Income 

scroll down to  Business Investment and Estate/Trust Income 

then to Sch K-1 and enter it here. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies