turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jenny_DB

Real Estate Professional

I'm the sole owner of three rental properties and manage everything myself and spend enough hours to meet the Real Estate Professional, but Turbotax say I do not qualify as a real estate professional even though I checked the more than 750 hours a year requirement. How do I get Turbotax to change this status?

Thanks,

Jenny

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Real Estate Professional

The qualifications are set forth below (note the more than 50% requirement).

Qualifications.

You qualified as a real estate professional for the year if you met both of the following requirements.

• More than half of the personal services you performed in all trades or businesses during the tax year were performed in real property trades or businesses in which you materially participated.

• You performed more than 750 hours of services during the tax year in real property trades or businesses in which you materially participated.

Further, you have to materially participate as a real estate professional in your rental activities to avoid being subject to the passive activity rules.

See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p925#en_US_2021_publink1000104590

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Real Estate Professional

The qualifications are set forth below (note the more than 50% requirement).

Qualifications.

You qualified as a real estate professional for the year if you met both of the following requirements.

• More than half of the personal services you performed in all trades or businesses during the tax year were performed in real property trades or businesses in which you materially participated.

• You performed more than 750 hours of services during the tax year in real property trades or businesses in which you materially participated.

Further, you have to materially participate as a real estate professional in your rental activities to avoid being subject to the passive activity rules.

See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p925#en_US_2021_publink1000104590

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies