Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Vacation home sale depreciation

I sold a vacation home that I used and that I also rented from time to time. I took depreciation on it for the entire time I owned it. TurboTax is deducting 100% of accumulated deductions from the original purchase price. Specifically, purchase price of 80,000 minus 55,000 depreciation. That gives me an adjusted cost basis of $25,000. The sale price was $100,000. According to TurboTax, gives me a gain of $75,000. Is that correct?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

That is correct. All accumulated carry over deductions are deductible in the year you sell the property. But that's not what you're seeing. What you're seeing is depreciation recapture.

All depreciation taken on the property is recaptured and taxed in the year you sell the property. Recaptured depreciation is taxed as a minimum of 15% and a maximum of 25%. So it's the depreciation recapture that lowers your cost basis as required by law.

Thank you, Carl, for a very speedy reply!

you have $55k in depreciation recapture and $20k in capital gains.....taxes depend on your tax bracket.....capital gains get taxed at 0%, 15%, and 20% and recapture gets taxed at anywhere from 0% to a max of 25%.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies