Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wayneballard
Returning Member

Tax on coins

1. Net capital gains from selling collectibles (such as coins or art) are taxed at a maximum 28% rate.
    schedule D and 8949 do not segregate amounts from collectibles and other things. Everything is added together. How does irs figure 28% on coins and something less on everything else? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Tax on coins

Form 8949 actually does segregate sales of collectibles. The sale of collectibles is identified on Form 8949 by putting adjustment code C in column (f) for the sale.

The sales of collectibles are totaled on the 28% Rate Gain Worksheet, and the result of that worksheet goes to Schedule D line 18. The Schedule D line 18 amount goes to the Schedule D Tax Worksheet. The calculation of the tax for the return is done on the Schedule D Tax Worksheet, which applies the appropriate percentage to each type of income.

Wayneballard
Returning Member

Tax on coins

My understanding is collectibles are taxed at 28% regardless of your income level. My income level being very low, schedule D tax worksheet taxes my collectibles as ordinary income 11.87% in my case. I like that, but is my understanding incorrect?

Tax on coins

Collectibles are taxed as ordinary income, with a maximum of 28%.  Your ordinary income tax rate is either 10%, 12%, 22%, 24%, or higher depending on your tax bracket.  If your "blended rate" (which is not a real thing, just the average of all your taxes against all your income) is 11.something%, then most of your income is being taxed in the 12% bracket. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies