Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sales of Rental Property that used to be primary residence

I sold my rental property in 2020 for a profit. I bought the property in 1990 and used it as my primary residence for 6 years. I rented it out for the last 24 years.  Do I pay capital gains on the total gain (sales price - minus basis + depreciation recapture) or can I pro-rate the gains by the percentage of rental use to total use  (24 yrs/30 yrs). If not, can I use the FMV in 1996 as the original basis?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

You will use the (sales price - minus basis + depreciation recapture) formula. The depreciation recaptured is taxed as ordinary income. There is no proration.

When you placed the asset in service, you were to use the lower of the FMV or Adjusted Basis on the date of conversion as your basis for depreciation. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

You will use the (sales price - minus basis + depreciation recapture) formula. The depreciation recaptured is taxed as ordinary income. There is no proration.

When you placed the asset in service, you were to use the lower of the FMV or Adjusted Basis on the date of conversion as your basis for depreciation. 

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

No. You cannot use the FMV as the basis. The basis is the basis.

Carl
Level 15

You will pay tax on the entire gain. There is no proration of anything for you. In order to qualify for the capital gains tax exclusion, or any part of it, the property must have been your *primary* residence for at least 2 years of the last five years you owned it, counting back from the closing date of the sale. Since the property has been a rental since 1996 or 97, you don't even come close to qualifying normally, or under any of the exceptions either.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies