Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sale of condo - partly rented in one state live in another state.

We had a condo in Minnesota. It was used about 80% for business and we used it around 20%.   We sold it in 2020.   The gain from the business part, I know is Minnesota revenue.  What about the gain on the personal use?  Do I report it to Minnesota or my home state of Missouri?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Yes, any gain is taxable to Minnesota, unless it was excluded. It will also be taxable in your home state. Check to see if MO allows a credit for taxes paid to another state.

Thanks.   Missouri does have a deduction for taxes paid in the other state.   Thank you.

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

It depends.  The gain on the sale of Condo used for business (80%) is taxable on your  federal and your local state.  The 20% personal use may be non-taxable, if you live 2 years out of 5 years you owned the property.  Internal Revenue Code (IRC) section 121 allows homeowners to exclude a certain portion of their capital gains when they sell their primary residence. Under IRC section 121, a taxpayer must own and occupy the property as a principal residence for two of the five years immediately before the sale. However, the ownership and occupancy need not be concurrent. The law permits a maximum gain exclusion of $250,000 ($500,000 for certain married taxpayers). federal ruling on Section 121 Exclusion.  State of Minnesota conformed to the federal ruling on Section 121 Exclusion.

Thanks.  It was never a residents, just a rental with some vacation usage. Thanks for the information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies