turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

QBI Deductions for rental properties that are not registered as a business

Dear Sir/Madam,

I replied to a previous thread from last year with a follow up question on this subject, but I did not get any confirmation. So I am starting a new question. Sorry if you get this question twice.

My wife and I own and manage 5 rental properties as our main source of income. We do not have any business registered for this purpose. But we do all the day to day work of managing them ourselves. Last year a TurboTax community person told us that our rentals are eligible for QBI deductions even if they are not registered as a business. This year, while entering my taxes for 2019, I selected again that my rentals are eligible for QBI deduction. In a follow up page TurboTax asks for the "Name and Employer Id Number" of the business, which we do not have. If I leave these 2 fields blank, I will get 0 deduction for QBI. What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

That's a known defect and to get around it for now enter something in the QBI Trade or Business Name field. That will cause the rental info to flow into the QBI Component Wks.

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

The issue you are having has been reported for investigation.  

As a "workaround" for your issue, go back through the Step-by-Step interview for each Schedule E and you will see a screen requesting Business name and EIN.  Enter the name you are using for the rental property in the box for Business name, and your Schedule E QBI deduction will calculate correctly.  You don't need to enter anything in the EIN box.

You can do this in TurboTax Download/CD in Forms mode on the QBI Component form for each Schedule E by entering the name you are using for the rental property in the first box, "aggregate trade or business name".

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you very much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies