Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Property tax basis question.

I have a deed (sort of a reverse mortgage) on my parent's house that says I get it once they pass.  After they pass, is the tax basis based on the sale price in the deed or the current market value when I really get ownership/title?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

I think you are referring to a "Life Estate' where you inherit the property without the property going into probate. 

In that case it SHOULD be Fair Market Value on the date of death, but Real Estate is governed by State Law, so speak with the attorney that made the deed change for clarity. 

LIFE ESTATE

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What do you mean by "sale price," and why do you say it's like a reverse mortgage? Did you pay your parents for the house, or are you making periodic payments to them? If you are paying anything, that's different from a life estate. You need to consult the real estate lawyer and a tax professional to clarify what you have and what the tax effects are.

Yes, I actually paid my parents for their house (paid off some bills & a monthly allowance for several years) - I would think like a reverse mortgage.  The deed reference a Sales Contract that stated the amount & the number of payments.  Payments are long past & my mother can stay in the house until she passes.  After reading the difference between a Deed & Title - I was wondering about taxes/capital gain upon death.  Would the tax basis be bases on what the Deed says; or, based on current market value since I don't have ownership/title yet?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You are not going to be able to get answers here. You need to consult a lawyer and a tax professional to clarify ownership and tax effects. The lawyer will want to look at the deed and any other related documents.

ok thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies