Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

No longer qualify as Real Estate Professional…move Schedule C rental income to Schedule E?

In previous years, I’ve qualified as a Real Estate Professional, and I’ve placed Rental Income (along with other business services for short-term tenants) on Schedule C.  I have since sold some property, and I’ve hired a professional management company to manage my rentals…so I no longer qualify as a Real Estate Professional.

Can I just move my Schedule C Rental Income this year to Schedule E?  Is there anything special I need to do since this changes the way I’ve reported a property’s income in previous years?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

No longer qualify as Real Estate Professional…move Schedule C rental income to Schedule E?

Use a tax pro. Real estate pros still file schedule E for their rentals unless they are also RE dealers or have short term renters where services are provided like a hotel....then it's like a business and they have to file a schedule C. The REP election is made each year and does not determine whether schedule E or C is filed. If you had to file a schedule C with a REP election you have to file a schedule C without it.

Carl
Level 15

The fact you were a real estate professional in the past did not in any way negate you from reporting rental income on SCH E. If you own rental property all income and expenses for that property gets reported on SCH E. Doesn't matter if you're an RE pro or not.

Now there are situations where rental income is reported on SCH C. But it has absolutely nothing to do with being an RE professional. For example, if you do short term rentals (such as AirB&B) where you provide your short term tenants services on a recurring basis (such as daily room cleaning services) then you are "in fact" doing something on a recurring basis to actually "earn" that money. It's much the same as if you owned and ran a hotel. It would be reported on SCH C. So if this applies to you, stop reading here and press on as before. Otherwise.................

Basically, you need to transfer all assets (including the property itself) from the SCH C to the SCH E.

On the SCH C:

- You will work through all business assets and indicate that they were removed from the business for personal use.

- Take special note of the following on all assets:

>Date purchased or acquired

>Date place "in service"

>total of all prior year's depreciation already taken.

>Total depreciation taken for the current tax year (2019 I presume) The depreciation will

stop on the date you indicate the asset was removed from the business for personal use.

>Total depreciation taken on each asset in it's entirety. (Add together prior year's and

current year's deprecation. You'll need that total for the SCH E.)

On the SCH E:

Date purchased or acquired will be EXACTLY THE SAME as on the SCH C.

Date placed in service will be EXACTLY THE SAME as on the SCH C

Prior year's depreciation already taken will be the total depreciation "in it's entirety" from above and "will" include the 2019 depreciation from the SCH C.

Any further questions, just ask.

Anonymous
Not applicable

reporting all "rental" income on schedule C may have resulted in you paying self-employment tax which is wrong since rental income where personal services are not involved is not subject to this tax.  if you did, you can amend the prior three years to get it back.   it may be advisable to seek to professional help in this matter to separate net income subject to se tax from net income that isn't.  .       

Great responses.  Thank you.

In this situation, we have had a vacation rental property where we do short-term rentals, and we provide "hotel like" services.  This has been reported on Schedule C in all previous years.

We have hired a Rental Manager that provides all these "hotel like" services for our property, and we are less involved than we have been in the past.  Should that move the short-term rental property to Schedule E for us?

Or since we, as owners, are still "providing" these "hotel like" services to vacation tenants (even though through a Rental Management company), it should remain on Schedule C?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies