Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mineral Royalties

We obtained mineral royalties through an inheritance. Turbo Tax keeps asking for an address for the property, but none is listed on either 1099-MISC.  One is in WV and the other in PA.  We live in PA.  The companies that sent the 1099's are incorporated in WV and TX respectively and those address are on the 1099-MISCs.  I cannot seem to get through my return without providing an address.  This is the first year we've received income from either and I'm not sure how to enter them.  I've read other questions, but none seem to help.  We do not own either of the properties where the mineral rights are paying royalties and it's not a business that we run.  How do I enter this as 1099-MISC income properly?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

Mineral Royalties

If TurboTax prompts you to enter an address for the property, use the actual address if you know it (look on the property tax bill if you have one).

If you don't have that information, use your own address.  

Please note that Virginia filing requirements require NonResidents with West Virginia Source Income to file a State Tax return, so you will need to add the West Virginia return and indicate that which Royalty income relates to West Virginia.

The Royalties will be entered under the Income & Expense section of TurboTax Choose Rental Properties and Royalties (Schedule E) and answer the prompts related to Royalties.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Mineral Royalties

When I enter the royalty information it lists rental and royalty income and then questions the rental property. I do not have rental property. We own the royalty property but the program does not accept it that way. Why?

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Mineral Royalties

You will enter royalty information on Schedule E.  The input for royalty data is after the section on rental properties.  Skip the questions on rental properties to get to the royalty section.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Mineral Royalties

...indicate which Royalty income relates to West Virginia.

Indicate how? I have the same situation, but my mineral interests are in Oklahoma. I don't have an Oklahoma address and I am concerned that if I enter a non-Oklahoma address on my federal return, TurboTax won't know to import the royalties from my federal return to my OK state return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies