Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

a2shutt
Returning Member

Just sold a rental property - never was listed on depreciation schedule. EDIT-fixed it!

I sold a rental property in 2020 that I had purchased in 2010. It was a tax auction property that I paid $1100 for, with a land value of $900. Probably due to the low value at the time, my former accountant never listed it on the depreciation schedule. There are other assets listed there, however (appliances etc).

Since I sold it in 2020, I'm trying to record the sale, which was $67,000. I understand that I need to go through all the assets and indicate that they were sold, but since the property itself was never depreciated how do I go about recording the sale in Turbotax Premier?

Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
garywilson-1961
Returning Member

Just sold a rental property - never was listed on depreciation schedule. EDIT-fixed it!

So technically your building was 200.00 dollars and land 900.    Land doesn't get depreciated but the building should have been.     

It is my understanding that your basis for the sale is 1100 less the potential depreciation you should have taken.

200 / 27.5 years for residential property (almost nothing but you were supposed to claim the depreciation as you go.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The program will calculate the depreciation allowed which must be deducted. You can file form 3115 if you want to claim the depreciation.  About Form 3115, Application for Change in Accounting Method

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies