Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Insurance payout treatment

My insurance payout was $8000 for hail damage to gutters, siding and roof. I only replaced the roof for $4500.  Can I apply the differential of $3500 as a decrement to my cost basis instead of paying tax on the gain this year and take the hit when I sell a few years from now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

correct - and the money is not taxable at all 

keep it simple, the claim paid to you is not a taxable event and has no bearing on your cost basis, whether or not you decide to fix up the house with the proceeds. 

in the perfect world, if you do not fix the damage, your house is now worth that much less.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Please see this TurboTax answer from Champion Opus 17 which addresses your question.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That opinion appears to answer part of my query.   Is it implied that if the unrepaired items will case me to sell the house for a commensurately less amount, then I need not decrement the basis to offset the excess payout?

correct - and the money is not taxable at all 

keep it simple, the claim paid to you is not a taxable event and has no bearing on your cost basis, whether or not you decide to fix up the house with the proceeds. 

in the perfect world, if you do not fix the damage, your house is now worth that much less.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies